Principal Goals & Priorities
Each year Roseburg Area Chamber of Commerce leadership sets numerous goals and objectives for the organization within each of its strategy/program areas. The chamber’s government affairs, public affairs and political advocacy goals and priorities for this year include:
- Implement RACC’s 2019-2020 Public Affairs & Legislative Agenda; advocate positions on issues on behalf of Douglas County business Participate with local, regional and statewide coalitions to oppose anti-business and support pro-business initiatives and legislation specifically during 2019 Oregon Legislature. Specific opposition to include cap and trade, protected employee status additions, elimination of small business tax cuts, proposed corporate gross sales taxes and paid family leave, to name a few.
- Monitor issues and activities before local, state and federal government entities. Actively support or oppose issues in pursuit of the most pro-business environment possible; hold regular meetings with elected officials.
- Continue participation in federal court BLM litigation to advocate for increased harvest on public lands.
- Keep membership informed of government affairs issues, particularly during 2019 Oregon Legislative Session via newsletter articles, broadcast.
- “Call to Action” emails, host twice monthly conference calls with state legislative delegation and programs/candidate forums, as needed Support business and economic development activities/endeavors with political action.
- Grow chamber PAC funds.
- Advocate with agencies and elected officials for effective forest management on public lands to include increased harvest and reforestation which is imperative to economic growth and long-term sustainability, and proper management after a fire/catastrophic event; Jordan Cove LNG project, medical training/education campus, workforce development/traded-sector training, as needed.
“The chamber acts as a unified voice as well as a partner for our business community. It continues to be the driving force locally for free enterprise, providing political advocacy, educational forums and networking opportunities for its membership while working to expand and develop new business in our area.”
“I believe the Roseburg Area Chamber of Commerce represents the best interest of business in our community.”